Friday, October 16, 2009

Too Many Monologues (A Reaction to This Week’s Grey’s Anatomy)

I watch TV strictly for easy-watching enjoyment. I have no suspension of disbelief anyway. So I try to stick with comedy because no need to be realistic… if you’re funny, I’ll watch anyway. That being said, even without a suspension of disbelief , I can occasionally get into a drama if I have some sort of connection. Greys hooked me the 1st season with their very distinct characters. Though I was annoyed by whiny Izzy’s character spending an entire episode on a bathroom floor and another in front of the hospital, I made exceptions to enjoy the meat of the show.
Now I am drawing a line. I am so sick of the long list of self-righteous monologues cluttering up the story line that I would rather vomit and eat it than to watch the show anymore. I can’t even count the number of unrealistic speeches by all of the characters, but the entire episode was riddled with them:
Meredith’s speech to her colleagues about it being “their hospital”
Izzy’s speech to the new intern about how they don’t treat each other poorly and would die throwing themselves in front of buses to save strangers.
Meredith’s little sister’s speech to a thief/patient about taking something personal from someone else.
Arizona’s speech to Callie’s father about how she may be gay, but she is still the person her father raised her to be.
Yang’s speech about how she hasn’t held a heart in her hands in months.
Callie’s speech to her father about how he is not Jesus and should not judge her.
GET REAL!!!
The only monologue I heard in real life today was my own as I bitched to a co-worker about these stupid, unrealistic monologues.
Fire the writers and start from scratch!!
I have a toddler with more creativity.

2 comments:

  1. "I would rather vomit and eat it." = genius.

    I'll be kipping that for the future. And I won't document you as the source. ;-)

    Try "Mercy" on NBC. It's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started watching this on Netflix and I have to leave the room during the opening and closing monologues by Meredith. I'm only in the second season. Wouldn't mind the show quite as much if it didn't begin and end with "As a surgeon... blah blah blah."

    ReplyDelete